Executive Board of Directors
President: Tom Cook
Vice President: Dave Barra
Member At-Large: Bruce Schmidt
Immediate Past President: Jessica Christian
Interpreter: Marty Adams
Secretary-Treasurer: Joe Gonillo
Assignor-North: Frank Martel
Assignor-South: Gary Blodgett
VERMONT SOCCER OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Note: These descriptions are based on the new By-Laws approved by the VSOA Membership August 9, 2014, amended by the Executive Board 11/4/14, and accepted practices not specifically covered in the By-Laws.
MEMBER AT LARGE
1. The Member at Large (MAL) serves on the VSOA Board of Directors as a full, voting member of the Board.
2. The MAL is elected by the members at the Annual Meeting.
3. The MAL serves a one-year term (unti the next Annual Meeting).
4. Any vacancy of the MAL position that occurs during the one-year term shall be filled by the Board of Directors.
1. The Vice President (VP) serves on the Board of Directors as a full, voting member of the Board.
2. The VP is elected by the membership at the Annual Meeting and serves a one year term (until the next Annual Meeting).
3. If the President is unable to fulfill his duties at any time, the VP shall assume the role of President.
4. After completing a one-year term (August to August), the VP assumes the gavel from the current President at the end of the meeting and now becomes the new President.
5. The “new” President acknowledges the host facility and personnel. The new President also notes the date, day, time and location of the next annual meeting to be held. This next annual meeting is on the opposite day of the current annual meeting (rotating Saturday to Sunday). The new President makes any additional announcements (Fitness test details). The new President adjourns the meeting.
1. The President serves on the Board of Directors as a full, voting member of the Board.
2. The President serves a one-year term.
3. The President organizes and sets the agendas for all VSOA meetings including but not limited to the annual meeting, the fall Board of Directors meeting, and the spring Board of Directors meeting.
4. The President acts as the official “voice” of the Board of Directors and the VSOA in communication with outside organizations such as the VPA, VSCA, NFHS, etc.
5. The President acts as the contact person with the Vermont Secretary of State’s Office on all VSOA By-Laws questions.
6. Should a vacancy occur during the year on the Board, the President shall oversee the process for a replacement of such vacancy.
7. Near the conclusion of the annual meeting, the President shall pass the gavel of the Presidency on to the VP and thus becomes the Past President (PP).
8. After completing a one-year term (August to August), the President becomes the new PP.
1. The Past President (PP) serves on the Board as a full, voting member of the Board.
2. The PP serves, in essence, three years on the Board: one as VP, one as President, and one as PP.
3. The PP serves a one-year term as the Chair of the Nominating Committee whose primary function is to nominate members to serve on the Board.
4. After serving one year as the PP the PP exits the Board and becomes an ex-officio of the VSOA Board of Directors.
1. The Secretary serves on the Board as a full, voting member of the Board.
2. The Secretary is elected by the membership at the Annual Meeting to a one-year term (until the next August meeting).
3. Oversees the grievance process
4. Oversees the scholarship committee process
5. Keeps an accurate VSOA roster with updated contact information
6. Oversees new members process
7. Holds and secures all VSOA archives and records and minutes
8. Oversees censure/suspensions/expulsions/appeals process
9. Updates VSOA website when needed
10. With direction from the President, helps organize the Annual Meeting
11. Sends out meeting agendas, established by the President and the Board, no later than 7 days prior to any meeting
12. Sends out meeting minutes, approved the Board, no later than 14 days after any meeting.
13. Establishes a group email list of all VSOA members so that information can be sent electronically.
14. Replies promptly and courteously to all enquiries.
15. Records annual meeting attendance and other requirements as mandated by the Board of Directors and notifies those who are in arrears.
16. Per the Bylaws this position shall be reimbursed for actual expenses incurred and receive a stipend determined annually by the Board of Directors
17. Coordinate VSOA’s tax-free status with Vermont’s Secretary of State
18. Assume such duties not cited above that are normally assumed by a Secretary.
1. The Treasurer serves on the Board as a full, voting member of the Board.
2. The Treasurer is elected by the membership at the annual meeting and a one-year term (until the next August meeting).
3. Establishes VSOA checking account
4. Collects and deposits all incoming VSOA checks
5. Pays VSOA bills
6. Keeps a record of all VSOA financial transactions and prepare a report for vote approval by VSOA members at the annual meeting
7. Collects dues and notifies those in arrears
8. Per the Bylaws this position shall be reimbursed for actual expenses incurred and receive a stipend determined annually by the Board of Directors.
Assumes such duties not cited above that are normally assumed by a Treasurer.
The offices of Secretary and Treasurer may be held by one person per the By-Laws.
1. The Rules Interpreter serves on the Board as a full voting member of the Board.
2. The Rules Interpreter is elected annually by the members at the Annual Meeting and serves a one year term (until the next August Meeting).
3. Act as the liaison between the VSOA and the NFHS Soccer rules committee
4. Be the final adjudicator on matters relating to rules and mechanics
5. Lead the new rules presentation at the VSOA Annual Meeting
6. Answer rules and mechanics questions that arise during the season
7. Distribute points of emphasis and reminders as they arise during the season